Which of these 2 laptops would be my best choice for editing video?
I am going to get a new laptop mainly to use for LR and PS but I also want to be able to edit video. Which of these 2 laptops is my best option...
ASUS ROG G751JT-CH71
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5 GHz
16 GB DDR3
1000 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
17.3-Inch Screen, Nvidia GTX970M 3GB GDDR5
Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition VN7-791G-730V
Intel Core i7-4720HQ Processor (2.6 GHz)
16 GB DDR3 RAM
1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive
17.3-Inch Screen, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
Windows 8.1, 4-hour battery life
Additionally, if you feel there is a better choice for $1500 or less, I would love to hear that advice as well. I would really appreciate your help in making this decision. Thanks!
Of the 2 the Asus everyday. You won't notice the difference in the CPU's but you will more so with the GPU's as the 970 is a decent step up from the 860m. Add in extra SSD/HDD and RAM (I believe it goes up to 32GB but check), and see if they have allocated the 16GB as 2x8GB sticks or 4x4GB sticks.
Other option I would suggest looking at a custom PC builder such as Cyberpower, Xotic or other (no affiliations, heck I don't even live in the same country). You will be able to get a much more tailored system with a better upgrade path within your budget. You will get better CPU, better GPU, RAM options up to 32GB and more flexible drive and msata combinations and most importantly some flexibility with the way the system is configured. Some are re-brands of popular gaming laptops, some are from the more custom line of chassis and some are just tweaked versions of your off the shelf names. Plus you don't have to crack the thing open to replace drives etc. that you are paying for but won't use due to slow speeds and the warranty implications that can come from doing this
Not saying buy this as you need to shop around and find what suits you best but as an example this is from Xotic.
Sager NP8670 (Clevo P670SA)
- SAGER Spring Savings
- FREE!!! – U.S. UPS GROUND SHIPPING (Use Coupon Code "FREESHIP" in Checkout) [U.S. Lower 48 ONLY / Restrictions Apply]
- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Anti-Glare Ultra Bright Screen (1920x1080)
- Standard No Dead Pixel Policy
- 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4720HQ (2.6GHz - 3.6GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache)
- - Stock OEM Thermal Compound
- NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 965M (2.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX12 (Maxwell) w/ Optimus™ Technology
- 16GB DDR3 1600MHz [2x8GB] Dual Channel Memory (SKU - RAM04S)
- Sager Branding
- Standard Laptop Finish
- No M.2 mSATA Drive
- No M.2 mSATA Drive
- 1TB 7200RPM [SATA II - 3GB/s] (SKU - HDDYY1)
- 120GB Crucial BX100 Series SSD [SSD2 - SATA III] (SKU - SSD092)
- Bluetooth Included *With select wireless cards only* (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
- Sager - Intel® Dual Band AC 7265 [M.2 Chip] 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth™ 4.0 (SKU - WIFIX1)
- Internal 6-in-1 Card Reader
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Smart Li-ion Battery (4-Cell)
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- ~Windows 8.1 - 64-Bit (64-Bit CD Included) + MS Office 2013 Trial
- LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Technical Support (Labor through XPC)
Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Parts Warranty Repairs (SKU - WTY099)
- * 24/7 LIFETIME U.S. based technical support
* Extreme QA testing by dedicated technicians
* 24-72 Hour stress testing and benchmarking to ensure top performance and stability
- Standard Production Time
Drops to $1386.13 with 3% cash pricing.